Chris' Blog

"A large volume of adventures may be grasped within this little span of life, by him who interests his heart in everything." -Laurence Sterne

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Costa Rica/Engagement

Julia and I arrived in Costa Rica on Saturday. We traveled via bus and taxi to Dominical, where we've been staying at a beautiful jungle resort.

The surfing has been good. Although the second day I went out I broke a rental longboard on a fairly large wave that took me for an entirely different kind of ride. After that I bought an inexpensive shortboard that I've been spending time learning to ride.

Since we've been here we've done some hiking and taken a few tours. We hiked through a nature preserve and saw some monkeys, a sloth, a toucan, leaf-cutter ants, butterflies, and a coati. We also did a "tree climbing" tour in which we ascended through the secondary canopy and into the primary. We hung-out there for a while and took in the sites and sounds of the jungle. We were also given a nice bit of natural history of the area.

Today we went on a horseback tour in the foothills of the Talamancan Mountains. We were treated to breakfast and lunch. The highlight of the horseback ride was a stop at a two-tiered waterfall with a great swimming hole at it's base. A guide showed me a place to scale the waterfall that came out to a ledge about 20 or 30 feet up where one could jump in to the pool below (Julia was not interested in this).

After taken the plunge into the water I took another sort of plunge. I proposed to Julia under the waterfall. She did not expect this at all. I guess she didn't think that I would be dumb enough to have a ring in my boardshorts. Boy was she wrong.

Unfortunately, Julia leaves for Minnesota and school tomorrow. I will be starting my Spanish Immersion program on Monday. Look for some good pictures and more posting soon.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!! katie and andy

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

contrats!!!

from
Aaron Peterson

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris that is so exciting. It has been a long time since we have seen you. We were at the ceremonies at the high school when you came home. Glad all is going well.
Molly and Ryan

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wedding cake.

Pete

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home