Chris' Blog

"A large volume of adventures may be grasped within this little span of life, by him who interests his heart in everything." -Laurence Sterne

Monday, April 10, 2006

Vacation Within a Vacation

Last week I decided that it might be a good idea to take a trip across the country. I'd read about a music festival in the town of Puerto Viejo, so I picked up and took off for the weekend.

It was quite the experience navigating the bus stations and different towns that I had to travel through. I had to use quite a bit of the spanish that I had learned in the previous three weeks. It was also very cool to see a big swath of the country, albeit in passing.

When I got to Puerto Viejo I checked-in at a travelor's lodge/hostel called "Rocking J's." I'd brought my hammock with, so they let me set it up for $4 a night. That included the use of showers and bathrooms, a kitchen, and the use of a place to lock my things up.

The band that was playing on the night that I went to the festival was "Sons de Tequicia." They were an excellent calypso band. However, they made me realize just how terrible most Americans really are at dancing. It made me decide that in the future I would learn how to merrengue or salsa dance.

Aside from the music, probably the best thing about the trip was the food. There is a very unique blend of tastes on the Carribean side of Cost Rica. There is of course the typical Costa Rican fare, with a heavy influence from the local Creole-speaking population. The best dish that I had was a whole red snapper smothered in what was called a "tropical salsa." I doubt that I will ever taste anything like it again. Especially not for $5 (that was also the most expensive meal that I had there).

That's about it for now. Check back again later this week for some postings on my new beach habitat.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris - It looks like you're having a wonderful time! I hope the rest of your vacation is as much fun. Jeanne & Terry

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home